Friday, March 9, 2012

Pinterest Dinner Week, Day 4

Another keeper! I made extra rice for yesterday's stir fry because it's something easy to use for the kids' lunches. The kids have 2 favorite leftover rice recipes:

Italian-ish rice
Leftover rice
Buttter
Frozen mixed veggies
Italian seasoning
Parmesan cheese

Mix the first 4 ingredients together, microwave until hot, and serve with parmesan cheese

Curry rice
Leftover rice
Butter
Frozen mixed veggies
Curry powder
Raisins
Pineapple (optional, but the kids really enjoy it if we have it!)

Mix first 4 ingredients, microwave until hot, stir in raisins and pineapple and serve

But today while browsing my pinterest board I came across a recipe for fried rice. It's supposed to be a copycat recipe for Benihana's fried rice. I've never been to Benihana, but I love fried rice, so I gave it a try, and it was soooo good!

I actually followed the recipe this time, except I put in way more veggies than it calls for, and added a stalk of celery, finely diced. The recipe is posted on the blog Running In Stilettos, who says they (I'm assuming it's a she) got it from food.com.


Ingredients: (Serves 2)
2 ounces cooked chicken (I skipped the meat today)
8 ounces steamed rice (I don't know how much that is, but I used about 3 cups of cooked rice)
2 eggs 
2 tablespoons onion, chopped (I used half a large onion)
2 tablespoons carrot, chopped (I used 2 carrots)
2 tablespoons green onion, chopped 
2 tablespoons green peas (I used half a bag of frozen peas)
1 teaspoon sesame seed 
3 tablespoons butter 
1 teaspoon oil (use for cooking veggies)
2 teaspoons soy sauce (or more to taste)
6 pinches pepper 
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
Sesame seeds
Salt to taste


Directions:
- Scramble eggs and chop after cooking. 
- Saute chopped onion, green onion, seasoning and carrots in the oil until done and mix with chopped scrambled egg and chicken. 
- Break off chunks of steamed rice and mix with vegetable, egg and chicken. 
- Add sesame seed, minced garlic, ginger, salt and pepper, stirring well. 
- Add butter and soy sauce into the mixture, stirring well until done.



It was YUMMY! It has been a long time since I've had Chinese restaurant fried rice, but I think this had similar flavors, and was less greasy, which is a plus. It was full of veggies, but diced so small that it didn't overwhelm the look of the dish. We all gobbled it up! Next time if I make this meatless, I'll add more eggs to bump up the protein, but overall, this was easy, delicious, and a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment