Friday, March 9, 2012

Pinterest Dinner Week, Day 3

I've learned some things about my 'What's for dinner?' pinterest board-I don't have as much pinned as I thought! A lot of things I have pinned call for extras that we don't usually buy like cream cheese or cream-of-something soups. Since I came up for this idea after we had done our shopping for the week, I'm making do with what we have, and avoiding the urge to pin new things!

Last night's dinner was delicious! Rather than pinning the specific recipe, I pinned this website, 100 days of real food as one to come back and check out. The family pledged to eat only whole foods for 100 days. Basically anything fresh from nature, nothing from a box. They made their own crackers, tortillas, etc. It sounds like a great challenge where everyone benefits! It is all documented, and they have made other pledges since then, such as 100 days of real food on a food stamp budget, and they are very thorough, check it out!

I read through the website for awhile and decided on  Farmers' Market Stir Fry. We don't have a farmers' market right now, but every Thursday, we get a box of produce from Door to Door Organics, so I figured that would be close enough! We ran into the store the night before to buy more milk for the kids (they go through it so fast!) and our grocery store has carts with plastic race cars attached to the front, which Jebriel LOVES, so we usually wander up and down the aisles while he makes vrooming and beeping noises. We walked past the meat and they had a shelf of meat marked for quick sale. There was a 2-pack of steaks marked down from $9 to $4, so we grabbed it, one steak for Eric (who likes an occasional late night steak, and one to be used for a family dinner. Of course this is an adapted version, since I'm just not a stick-to-the-recipe person.

I made the teriyaki sauce this morning:
1/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup water
some grated fresh ginger, or powdered
2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
2 tbsp honey

and marinated the steak in it all day, then thinly sliced it, keeping the marinade, right before it was time to cook it.

Then before dinner I got some rice going, and started chopping veggies. The recipe calls for 3 cups of veggies, any kind you have. We used:
grated radish and baby turnip
carrots
red and yellow bell pepper
snap peas
celery

Heat 2-3 tbsp olive oil in a big pan, toss the veggies and meat in, then pour the sauce over it, and stir it around until it's done.

While it cooks (this is something that in my cooking haste I misread, it was meant as a side dish, but it turned out really yummy!) I made a fruit relish with:
1/3 cup diced mango
1/3 cup diced pineapple
1 green onion, thinly sliced (I use kitchen scissors)

To serve, I put rice on the plate, topped it with the beef and veggie stir fry, spooned some extra sauce over it, and then a spoonful of the fruit relish on top. Everyone devoured it! Definitely a keeper recipe, and can easily be modified with different meats (or no meat) and different veggies. The teriyaki sauce paired with the fruit salsa really made the dish, sweet and salty and garlicky, yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment